NOTICE OF A PUBLIC MEETING
On May 13, 2021 at 9:00 am, a meeting will be conducted by East St. Louis School District 189. Please check the District’s website to attend a virtual meeting on the scheduled date and time.
The purpose of the meeting will be to discuss the district’s plans for providing special education services to students with disabilities who will attend private schools and home schools within the district for the 2021-2022 school year. If you are the parent of a home-schooled student who has been or may be identified with a disability and you reside within the boundaries of District 189, you are urged to attend.The meeting link is below:Timely and Meaningful Consultation
Thursday, May 13 · 9:00 – 10:00am
Google Meet joining info
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/fsq-
Or dial: (US) +1 321-351-6670 PIN: 722 772 518#
More phone numbers: https://tel.meet/fsq-qsxk-fgn?
If you have further questions pertaining to this meeting, please contact Kimberly D. Hopkins via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention Parents and Guardians:
Please take the time to carefully review the letter found Here. The purpose of this letter is to provide updates on several important education-related matters that are in effect for the 2020-2021 school year. Welcome Back to School!
The Special Services Department receives referrals for special education evaluation from a variety of sources. A referral can be initiated by any staff person, parent, or agency. For preschool aged children, Child and Family Connections, other 0-5 year-old agencies and parents may make a referral. Pre-K screenings may also result in a referral for evaluation. For students of school age, concerns should be brought to the Response to Intervention, Child Study Team. All referrals for special education evaluation should be given to the Principal of the home school of the student.
Assessments are completed as needed for determining eligibility for special education services.
Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) are developed for students requiring specially designed instruction. Special Transportation is provided for students who require this to access the educational curriculum. Transition planning and supports are provided for students 14.5 years old and older.
Department Mission Statement:
To provide effective and appropriate educational experiences for students with disabilities via a continuum of services that requires general and special educators to accept full responsibility in utilizing best practices for students learning and career.
- We believe that it is our responsibility to ensure that the educational rights for students and families are communicated and respected.
- We believe in an inclusive philosophy of collaboration among stakeholders that will guide decision making toward meeting student needs.
- We value Least Restrictive Environment opportunities for all students.
- We value providing educational supports to teachers so that they can provide appropriate instruction, utilize technology, and have access to educational resources that enhance academic growth.
- We value the unique needs and abilities of students and commit to enhancing instruction to meet the needs of their educational experience.
Special Education Disability Areas in Illinois:
- Emotional Disturbance
- Hearing Impairment
- Intellectual Disability
- Multiple Disabilities
- Orthopedic Impairment
- Other Health Impairment
- Specific Learning Disability
- Speech/Language Impairment
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Visual Impairment
- Auxiliary (class) Aides
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing Teachers
- Occupational Therapist and Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Orientation and Mobility Specialist
- Personal Care Aides
- Physical Therapist and Physical Therapy Assistant
- School Psychologists
- School Social Workers
- Special Education Supervisors
- Special Education Teachers
- Speech Language Pathologists
- Teacher of the Visually Impaired
Kimberly D. Hopkins, Director of Special Education
Phone: 618-646-3000, ext. 2910
Ramonda Fleming, Assistant Director of Special Education
Phone: 618-646-3000, ext. 2934
Robin Carey-Boyd, Special Services Supervisor
Phone: 618-646-3000, ext. 2907
LaTanya Fulton, Special Services Supervisor
Phone: 618-646-3000, ext. 3110
Michele Spencer, Special Services Supervisor
Phone: 618-646-3000, ext. 2968
Destyne Belk-Hill, Special Services Supervisor
Phone: 618-646-3000, ext. 3049
Rosena Stallings, Special Education Coordinator
Phone: 618-646-3000, ext. 2945