The Department of Parent and Student Support Services fosters and promotes school communities that are educated, engaged and empowered to share the responsibility in creating and promoting healthy students and schools through positive supports, interventions, programs, and staff.
Department Mission Statement: With graduation for every student being our goal, we will do whatever it takes to ensure that all students are at school every day, healthy, supported, and ready to learn. Further, we will encourage positive school environments conducive to quality instruction and supportive, welcoming environments by fostering a positive culture and climate that supports the health and social-emotional well-being of every student.
The Parent and Student Support Services Department provides oversight of the following areas:
- After School Programming
- Attendance and Truancy Services
- Foster Care Services
- Guidance Counselor Services
- Homeless Services
- Nursing Services: Our nurses support our students and manage our Physicals and Immunization Requirements. For more information, click here.
- Parent University: Our Parent University for Life Skills is offered to all parents in District #189
- Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS)
- Social Work Services
School Social Workers in School District 189 are a vital part of the educational team, working together with educational administrators, teachers, counselors, psychologists, nurses, speech and language pathologists and other staff. Their training in mental health, counseling, and crisis enables them to understand and interpret the influences of the school, home, and community on children. School Social Workers can identify factors that make school a more successful experience for students and are strong supporters of the school’s culture and climate. They also assist in the development of social, emotional, and problem-solving skills in students which are essential to academic success.
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED:
- Family Engagement Center
- Parenting Empowerment Program
- Parent University for Life Skills
- Family Engagement Program
- After-School 21st Century Grant
- TAOEP Grant
- Title One Delinquent Grant
- Sexual Health Grant
- District Wellness Committee