The Department of Family Relief and Response Services Department offers a plethora of supportive services and resources for our students and families. Our goal is for all of our students to become productive citizens by developing skills that will contribute to the safety and welfare of our community. Our offices are located at 401 Katherine Dunham Place, East St. Louis, IL 62201.
For all students in East St. Louis School District 189 to become lifelong learners by attending school daily & taking full advantage of their learning experience.
The Family Relief and Response Services Department believes in:
- Building positive relationships with all students, families, schools & community stakeholders
- Treating all students, families, staff and faculty members with dignity and respect
- Creating a culture/climate that fosters opportunities for all students
- Providing support and resources to our schools and families
- Maintaining a safe and secure environment for students, staff and faculty
STRONGER TOGETHER. MAKING A DIFFERENCE FOR OUR CHILDREN.
EAST ST. LOUIS DISTRICT 189 COVID INITIATIVES:
- Communicates & attends monthly meetings with all testing stakeholders (i.e., Shield Illinois, East Side Health District & District 189 COVID Team Members)
- Schedule district testing and immunization fairs
- Progress monitoring student/staff testing results
- Insure that district protocols and procedures are being followed in alignment with Illinois State Board of Education Guidance, East Side Health District and the Illinois Department of Public Health.
MCKINNEY-VENTO / FAMILY IN TRANSITION PROGRAM:
The Homeless Education program is authorized under Title VII-B of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (42 USC 11431 et seq.). The McKinney-Vento Act was enacted to address the numerous barriers homeless children face in obtaining a free, appropriate public education. The program was originally authorized in 1987 and, most recently, reauthorized as Title X, Part C of the Federal No Child Left Behind Act of 2001.
- Grant manager for the McKinney-Vento American Rescue Plan (ARP) Allocation
- Conducts intake during enrollment for our homeless students and families in transition
- Provide school uniforms & supplies, toiletries, and other resources
- Partnership with area agencies (i.e., Community Lifeline) to host community fairs
- Supervise student work study program during the summer
EAST ST. LOUIS SCHOOL DISTRICT SAFETY DRILLS:
- Schedule all campus drills (i.e., bus evacuation, fire, earthquake & intruder drills)
- Facilitate quarterly Threat Assessment Meetings with District Team
- Collaborate with building principals by participating in campus safety walkthroughs
- Submit annual reports to the St. Clair County Regional Office of Education
- Maintain partnership with East St. Louis Fire and Police Department
HOMELESS, TRUANCY AND ATTENDANCE OFFICERS
- Supervise the HAT Officers assigned to East St. Louis School District 189 Schools
- Provide and facilitate monthly professional development for HAT Officers
- Progress monitoring attendance for participating students at each individual campus and at the district level.
- Serve as grant manager for the Truant Alternative and Optional Education Program (TAOEP)
- Provide attendance interventions and incentives for students
- Collaborate with the Regional Office of Education Truancy Department
- Serve as the first line of contact for parent communication
- Schedule and attend meetings with both parents & schools (i.e., school administrators and/or teachers)
- Maintain parent log for documentation and intervention recommendations
- Repair and strengthen relationships between school and home
- Provide resources and referrals for parents
Quick Links:ST. CLAIR COUNTYSt. Clair County Regional Office of Education Truancy Procedures Information ----https://sccroe50.org/
truancy/St. Clair County States Attorney's Office https://www.co.st-clair.il. us/departments/states-attorneyILLINOIS STATE BOARD OF EDUCATIONIllinois State Board of Education Attendance Support InformationCompulsory Attendance---https://www.isbe. net/Pages/Student-school- requirements.aspxNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONSAttendance Awareness Campaign --https://www.attendanceworks. org/