Our vision at James Avant Elementary School is to create a learning environment that fosters high expectations for success, college and career readiness, and productive citizenship.
The mission of James Avant Elementary School is to provide all students with a safe and nurturing learning environment that fosters a rigorous and diverse core curriculum in every classroom.
OUR CORE VALUES:
We believe all children can learn through differentiated instruction.
We value every student at James Avant Elementary School.
We value a safe, supportive, stimulating, and caring environment.
We believe that every student can achieve EXCELLENCE AND GREATNESS.
We value our partnership with parents, the community, teachers, and the entire James Avant Elementary Family.
JAMES AVANT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL IS BUILDING A CULTURE OF EXCELLENCE!!
THUNDERCATS Stay READY
Respect yourself and others around you.
Excellence is the expectation.
Always cooperate with teachers, staff and fellow students at all times.
Dress properly with pride in your school uniform.
You are responsible for YOU!!!
School Programs include:
- Building and District Spelling Bee
- Young Author's Conference
- Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee and Monthly Meetings
- Family Reading Night
- Family Math Night
- Real Women and Men Read Initiatives
- Dr. Seuss Literacy Activities
- STEM Initiatives
- Building and District Science Fair
- Holiday Programs (i.e., Grandparent's Day, Christmas, Cinco De Mayo and Black History Programs)
- Earth Day Recycling Program
- Greenville College Future Educators' Program
- East St. Louis Sr. High School Students As Teachers Program
- Boy Scouts of America
- Girl Scouts of America
- PTSA Monthly Meetings
- Parent University Initiatives
- Parent Involvement in the Title 1 planning process
- Parent Surveys (i.e. 5 Essential and AdvancEd Survey)
- School Newsletter and Monthly Calendar/Reminders
- Parent Workshops and Conferences
- Real Men Read
- Real Teens Read (High School Students Read to Elementary Students)
- Scholastic Book Fair
- East Side Health District
- Building and District Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?
- Ned Character Education Program
- Grade Level Awards Day Program
- Athletic Programs and Events
- 21st Century Family Activities
- Jackie Joyner Kersee Wellness Program
- University of Illinois Extension Nutrition Program
- National Jr. Beta Club
- Washington Park Fire Prevention and Awareness Program
- Boys to Young Men Character Building Program
- Onyx Girls Character Building Program
- Student & Staff member of the Month
- Robotics Team