District 189 School Enrollment/Registration
Now enrolling new students at the Family and Community Engagement Center:
James E. Williams Center
401 Katherine Dunham Place
East St. Louis, IL 62201
**Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30am to 3:00pm**
Note: Kindergarteners must be 5 years old on or before September 1, 2018 to begin Kindergarten in District 189. School board policy does not allow for any exceptions to this date.
Kindergarten students who are not registered by August 1 may have a delay in bus transportation so register early!
***DOCUMENTS NEEDED TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION***
1. Child Identification: Original State Certified Birth Certificate
2. Parent Identification: Parent Photo ID (e.g. State ID, FOID Card or Driver's License)
3. Proof of Residency: (Only one per category)
- Property Deed in your name or recent Mortgage Statement (homeowners), OR
- Lease Agreement (signed and dated), OR
- Occupancy Permit, OR
- Voter's Registration Card
- Current Driver's License, OR
- State Medical Card, OR
- Most recent Utility Bills (Gas, Water, Electric, etc.)
4. Student Academic Records (if entering grades 1st-12th):
- ISBE Student Transfer Form
- Unofficial Transcript
- Proof of 8th Grade Promotion (if entering 9th grade)
5. Student Registration Forms: Complete registration forms before you come.
Forms are available here: Student Enrollment Packet 2018
6. Special Education Paperwork (if applicable):
- Special Education Student Transfer Form
- Individualized Education Program (I.E.P.)
- Psychological Evaluation Report
- Notice of Recommended Educational Program
If you are living with someone who is a resident in School District 189, they will need to come in with you to register your child.
If you have custody of the student and are a resident of School District 189, you must bring proof of guardianship.
If you are renting in the School District 189 area and do not have a lease, a) your landlord must come with you to you verify your lease agreement and b) the landlord will need to bring proof of ownership of the property.
If your child does not have a number, please contact the Social Security Office at 1-800-772-1213. Under federal law, however, East St. Louis School District 189 will enroll your child even if he or she does not have a Social Security number.
East St. Louis School District 189 follows the mandates of the Illinois Department of Public Health with regards to required immunizations for our students.
Students entering preschool, kindergarten, sixth, and ninth grades, and new students to the district must present proof of the required state of Illinois physical examination and immunizations.