Welcome Back to School
Dear Parents and Guardians of School District 189 Students:
It is an honor to welcome new and returning students as we begin another school year! Principals and office staff are ready to assist your families with registration, transportation questions and any other concerns prior to the start of the first day of school on Thursday, August 17, 2017.
Please note the bell schedule for school year 2017-2018:
- Vivian Adams Early Childhood Center: 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Avant, Dunbar, Officer & Wright Elementary Schools: 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Bush Elementary School: 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Mason/Clark & Lincoln Middle Schools: 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- East St. Louis Senior High School: 7:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Younge Alternative Center: 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
I have no doubt that school year 2017-2018 will be one full of growth opportunities for your child. Each staff member is excited to welcome students and families into our schools. As a school district committed to excellence, we are excited to share the following highlights in preparation for students in August:
- Technology upgrades: 2,800 new Chromebooks and iPads, combined with existing technology assets, brings us to a 1:1 student to computer ratio (over 6,000 in the district);
- Dedicated and talented professional staff: Many have used time in the summer to advance curriculum development, attend professional development sessions and expand their certifications;
- Building improvements: Detailed cleaning has been performed, exterior lighting has been replaced (including many LED upgrades), all campuses have been repainted within the past year or are scheduled to be painted prior to the start of school, cooling units have been serviced and repairs have been made to address any electrical, plumbing and heating needs, and renovations are underway for the high school girls locker room and CTE cosmetology classroom;
- Pre-K advancements: Vivian Adams Early Childhood Center will provide student bus transportation to and from school, has a new curriculum, and is equipped with four brand new, state-of-the-art playground areas and additional outdoor toys to engage students in learning;
- Social/emotional supports: Upcoming launch of the Family Engagement Center to serve family and community needs and promote student emotional and academic excellence at the Williams Learning Center.
You are a key partner in ensuring the successful education of your child. We need your involvement in parent-teacher conferences and welcome your volunteer time at your child’s school. Most importantly, we need you to encourage your child to stay engaged in school. Please help reinforce the importance of on-time school attendance, appropriate behavior, class participation and completion of school work. Your child’s education matters and we are grateful to work with you to ensure your child’s success in school.
Thank you for continuing the journey with us. Throughout the year, you can stay informed through our website at www.estl189.com or by following us on Facebook or Twitter via @estl189. We look forward to seeing your child on Thursday, August 17!
Committed to excellence,
Arthur R. Culver, Superintendent
Featured News and Headlines
Some School District 189 Schools will actively participate in viewing the total solar eclipse on August 21, 2017. As always, student safety is our top concern. Looking at the sun is unsafe. Schools participating in the viewing will provide all students with eclipse glasses and will educate students about the importance of keeping their eclipse glasses on at all times during the event. Please watch the Solar Eclipse Safety Tips Video for more information.
District 189 students will return for the first day of school on August 17. If you have not yet registered, please register at your local school between 8:30am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday. Pre-K, middle and high school students may register beginning Monday, July 24. Elementary students may register beginning July 31. Bell times and bus reminders can be accessed here.
School District 189’s high quality preschool program still has some slots available for children between the ages of 3 to 5 years of age. Free bus transportation is available to preschool students to and from school throughout the year. To have your child screened and enrolled, join us Tuesday, August 8 or Wednesday, August 9 between 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Vivian Adams Early Childhood Center in East St. Louis. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call: 618-646-3290.
High school students earning an associate’s degree at the same time they completed their high school diploma.
A Spark from ARC
The school year will soon be coming to a close. It is hard to believe that most of the school year is already completed. There have been many great experiences and successes during this time. Four high school students will be graduating with their high school diploma and their associate’s degree from SWIC through the Running Start program.
As staff, teachers and administrators, we must be ever mindful about the importance of grit in our work. Educating children is a long-term investment of our time, skills, creativity and work ethic.
We invite you to browse around and experience the new streamlined look. The Global Icons on the right side of the screen take you to some of our frequently used Apps. Students and Parents have menu options and links to Skyward Family Access. Many additional features are coming soon, including School Websites. We look forward to updating you on their availability in the future!